National Milk Producers Federation (NMPF), established in 1916, develops and carries out policies that advance the well being of dairy producers and the cooperatives NMPF owns. NMPF’s 31 cooperatives produce the majority of the U.S. milk supply, making NMPF the voice of more than 32,000 dairy producers on Capitol Hill and with numerous U.S. government agencies.
NMPF feared that their dairy producers would not have sufficient tools to comply with a pending Spill Prevention, Control, and Countermeasure (SPCC) Plan regulatory deadline. This rule regulates the planning and implementation requirements of spill prevention measures for fuels and other regulated oils.
- The SPCC regulation allowed qualifying producers to self-implement their plan, but many of their producers were “totally in the dark” and did not know how to do this.
- Fines and penalties for noncompliance could easily reach $100,000 per producer.
NMPF wanted help from a company that had hands-on experience with SPCC Plans and with dairy producers. They also wanted a company that could effectively communicate with producers. NMPF asked The Dragun Corporation to assist them and help producers.
- First, The Dragun Corporation wrote a SPCC Plan White Paper for NMPF to use on their website. This helped educate their producers and co-ops about the SPCC rule requirements.
- Second, we used our experience in developing site-specific SPCC Plans and working on dairy farms to create a template tailored specifically to dairy producers. The producers utilized this template to create personalized SPCC Plans easily and inexpensively.
- Third, following the final publication of the SPCC Plan template, we conducted and recorded an online webinar for NMPF’s dairy producers. This webinar was placed on NMPF’s website along with the agriculture-specific SPCC Plan template.
NMPF achieved their goal and helped 32,000 dairy producers stay in compliance and avoid fines and penalties.